Re: Still looking good ??

  • Subject: Re: Still looking good ??
  • From: "Dan Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:47:51 -0400

I took a walk in the garden this morning and there is a very strong relationship between exposure to the open night sky and how well my hostas hold up late in the season. Even longipies in exposed areas are going dormant fast and it's hard to tell one cultivar from another.
I have had two nights at 26f here in Delaware (zone 7) and all of my hostas except those under the heaviest tree canopy are fading fast. There seems to be very little difference in cultivar response to temps that low. Hostas with plantaginea in their background seem to take on a more watery look as they melt down going dormant.
I'm sure low above freezing temps and short days like Ben has had has a lot different effect on hostas going dormant that a few night temps at 26F.