watering looking leaves after frost, and frost in zone 7 already?

  • Subject: watering looking leaves after frost, and frost in zone 7 already?
  • From: "Cindy Johnson" <cidjohnson323@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:34:49 -0500

Dan wrote:
I have had two nights at 26f here in Delaware (zone 7) and all of my hostas except those under the heaviest tree canopy are fading fast. There seems to be very little difference in cultivar response to temps that low. Hostas with plantaginea in their background seem to take on a more watery look as they melt down going dormant.

Hi Dan and everyone,
Two things....is it typical for a warm zone 7 area to have hard frosts before those of us in a cold zone 4?  The coldest we've had in my yard so far is about 30 deg.  In fact, I still have a few impatiens that are blooming, though about 2/3 of them look like mush.

Next, I've noticed the watery look to some of my hostas too, and wonder what makes some leaves do that, and others not?  Does it have something to do with the shininess of the leaves?  or how much water they hold?

Any ideas?

Cindy