Re: Hosta foliage types

  • Subject: Re: Hosta foliage types
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:05:06 -0000

Hi Joe,
         Jim Hawes has written for the Hosta Journal on photoperiod in
Hosta, so I'll let him talk about that. Experiments done at a University
later backed up his theories. Jim also wrote on the subject of overwintering
hosta outdoors in a tropical climate.Where are you, Jim?
          There are no evergreen hostas, but the plantagenia species and
hybrids do show some traits that are different from the other species.
Except when they are in bloom, they are producing new leaves most of the
season. Some of the talk about plantagenia hybrids looking good late in the
season is because of this. The leaves people are seeing now are not as old
as the ones on the other plants. I've seen them still throwing up new leaves
right into the hard frosts of fall, then begin again too early in the spring
and have the new year's leaves destroyed. I think what we see in this is
some kind of delayed maturity, where the plantagenia plants retain this
juvenile characteristic for years longer than the other species and their
hybrids.
          Does this correlate to the daylilies? Well, the one species that
is evergreen among daylilies came from the southernmost part of the
hemerocallis range and the one species among hosta that continuously throws
up new leaves came from the southernmost part of the hosta range. Both are
probably evolutionary adaptations to a warmer climate.
          Hostas need dormancy. This is pretty much established. Without
dormancy they decline slowly over three years or so and die. Maybe because
of reduced dormancy in a warmer climate plantagenia evolved to more
sustained and consistant growth to compensate for the deteriorating effects
of the reduced dormancy in it's new climate. The evergreen daylily may have
done the same. Both may be unusual because of the same stimulus, but
different in how they adapted.

..............Bill Meyer