(OT) Figs and frost in zone 7 already?

  • Subject: (OT) Figs and frost in zone 7 already?
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 06:49:02 -0400

Mary and Dan,

There must be a varietal difference in fig ripening..Mine ripened about a month ago, and right now has lost all its leaves for the winter. Have no idea what the cv is, since it was started from a passalong cutting a few years ago. We are technically z6b. The line for 7a is our southern county line, and here at the house I suspect we fall in that 7a zone, since we are on top of the ridge. My outside thermometer is reading 34 at the moment (6:30 am). Course, it's too dark yet to see the garden, and even 34 can do a number on tender perennials. I hope my basil is still alive!

Typically our temps in winter are a few degrees warmer than Knoxville (20 mi southeast), and in summer a few degrees cooler. Doesn't get any better than that!

I suspect there is frost out there, though, so I'll run out at first light and test Dan's theory about open sky exposure.

Mary, what are the "forestry maps" you are referring to?