RE: Nematode free: Fact or Hoax?

  • Subject: RE: Nematode free: Fact or Hoax?
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:24:01 -0400

Pat I believe the nematode population is as great or maybe even more in the north. My reasoning is that where the growing season is so short the symptoms don't always have time to develop. If plants coming up in late Feb don't develop signs until late August ( I know this sounds like a long time compared to what we read but I have seen it happen ) that is 5 months. Some of the northern gardens don't have a season that long. I have had plants come here from northern gardens. The folks tell me they have no nematodes but I isolate the plants anyway. Sure enough over 90% show damage before fall and some of the others the next season. The folks that sent the plants think it is my imagination. Northern gardens do more plant exchange than the south. You are spreading sorrow with your joy. Isolating and cleaning up after infected plants is not easy so as far as I am concerned I would rather have fewer plants and less infection.