Re: [hostapix] Hey! Hi Ran !!! Re: O M H

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] Hey! Hi Ran !!! Re: O M H
  • From: "Ransom Lydell" <ranbl@netsync.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:51:58 -0500

 The plant was a result of seed grown from a faciated scape, I got from Pete Ruh in the late eighties.  I had a row of these plants ( seedlings from the pods) and after lining them out in a field, sort of forgot about them.  One day  in August 12 years ago, I saw a unbelievable bloom over there.  I thought something had come up in the hosta row.  Of course , it turned out to be this plant.  it has been faithfully blooming with similar blooms every year since.  Test plants have been grown in Pete Ruh's Herb Benidect's and Mildred Seaver's gardens as well as others & bloomed ( with the great flower heads) in all three.  We have tried TC with disappointing results and intense dividing makes it quit blooming for several years.  No doubt it will be hard to get for many years. I have 12 or 13 ( of the 20 originally offered) large (OS) plants left to offer.  After that I may raise the price, as there will be only a few slowly available.  The leaves, by the way, are dark green and very puckered and heart shaped. I grow the plants in part sun  and they "like" plenty of water.  My big plant has become about 30" across & 12 inches high.  I will give price details privately to anyone who is interested.