Re: a thousand years??

  • Subject: Re: a thousand years??
  • From: CCREDUX@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:51:38 EST

In a message dated 10/29/2001 3:03:37 AM Central Standard Time, zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl writes:

Clyde
Unless you are a creationist but...
The difference in DNA content between say H minor and H.longipes
is about 10 picogram or 10.000.000.000 bases. Humans have in
total about 7 pg Do you really think that that amount of bases can
come along in a 1000 years, without changing the number of
chromosomes?

My Dear Ben,
Do I really think that? I have no earthly idea what to think about the origin of the species. If I think like a human being I should think that at one point in time there was at least one hosta, maybe two, that came into being---just like homo sapiens.
I should think this occurred about 1.000.075 years ago.It occurred miraculously simultaneously in Japan and North Carolina(near the present site of Plant Delights or Plants Delight---I never can remember which 'tis).
Ben,I do recall, even if you have done forgotten, that I was going to send you some species. Well, now is the time as I and Carol are moving and I must send these soon==H.densa and H. pachyscapa.(Are there others that you perhaps want? Let me know posthaste.)
Let me know your mailing address. Is it safe to put on the customs form "Botanical Specimens" ?

Fondly,
Clyde