H laevigata

  • Subject: H laevigata
  • From: Doug Beilstein <bpatch@richnet.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:31:20 -0500

Dear Charles        I must have a lucky at least a good plant from Tony
Avent several years ago of H laevigata.    Every year it produces 5-10
op pods on 20-30 scapes.    Thus I agree with Ben Z that   it is not a
very fertile pod parent.    I got lucky this year with devon
green,happyness,june,shinning tot, and venusta  pollen and collected 3
to 12 seeds from each one.     It took over 100 pollination's to get the
above.    Lets hope   some of the seedlings are worthy.   on the pollen
side the plant works much better  with seeds   from the following
blue canoe,bravo,first impression, flamboyant  , galaxy,galaxy sagae,
hypolucea, lakeside knickknack, little wonder str,neat splash,temple
bells and yellow splash.  can't wait to see those streakies   looks like
it's a laevigata type year  ...........  just harvested the last of
these seeds yesterday   thus my late reply.   For the pollination
dates   the earliest   was 8-16       and the latest 9-7      and the
harvest date that ended with black seeds with the typical bump   was
sunday 10-28.    Ben   we shall see about the fertility   but those
dates indicate 7-10 weeks    got to run      later doug