Re: Aloe

  • Subject: Re: Aloe
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:41:49 -0800 (PST)

>Why not try the real thing a leaf of Aloe vera sold in many plant

I'm sure the real thing would work.  However, I have two problems.
First, my house is small and the lighting isn't real good for growing
plants indoors.  Secondly, the way I am using hand cream would
probably require growing 100 plants or more.

>Humans have in total about 7 pg [DNA]

Plants appear to have a lot of duplication of genetic material.  With
60 chromosomes hostas would certainly appear to be of polypoid origin.
Given that humans only have about 7 pg of DNA and hostas average
around 30 pg, might it not be possible that hostas could actually be
allo-hexaploids, and in fact could have a complicated origin that may
have occured different times.

Several years ago I collected some open pollinated seeds from Charlie
Purtymun's garden, but I didn't keep track of the pod parents.  I know
I collected some seeds from some of the small species he had.  I've
been growing about a half dozen seedlings with pinkish roots.  The
pink isn't real deep colored, but it's there all the time and these
are three year old seedlings.  So far only one seems to set pods, but
I have seed from the best plant used as a pollen parent.  Whether or
not they germinate is something else.  Do you know which species is
the source for pinkish colored roots?

Joe Halinar