Re: Seeds and Maturation (for John Christensen etcetera)

  • Subject: Re: Seeds and Maturation (for John Christensen etcetera)
  • From: Bill Nash raffi@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:44:46 -0400

John Christensen wrote:

I'll let you know if it works for me, Bill.  I'm currently maturing about 15
scapes, most from longipes-derivative hostas, in sugar water.  I haven't
added fungicide or bleach yet, but probably will at some point.  This morning
I self-pollinated 5 flowers on a scape that was cut 4 days ago.  Hopefully I
can keep this scape going long enough to see if viable seeds are produced.

Johnny -- there is another mystery, which I am at a loss to explain, as to
why this is so?

Those hostas, which I have potted and brought indoors into a the sunny
window in this computer room, well anyway, one of these hostas is Cinamon
Sticks, and it is still blooming.  I am using pollen from Katsuragawa,
stored in my freezer on it.  I doubt that any seed pods will take on this
indoor pollination routine however.
     I say this because and since: I remember trying to pollinate potted
hostas which were brought indoors in previous years; and I seem to recall,
that not a single indoor pollination ever took for me.  I'm even thinking,
that perhaps, some kind of pollination blocking mechanism is triggered
within a plant, when a hosta is put through the stress of digging roots out
of ground, potting and putting it indoors.  And here, you are trying to
pollinate CUT FLOWERS?...please keep us informed? LOL! (AH'finds this
kinda'funny?)  Good luck on that!

REGARDING THE OTHER EMAILS; pertaining to Mark Zillis' book saying hosta
seed can be ripe and viable to sprout within 30 days after
pollination?  I'm thinking, that someone who knows Mark personally, should
question Mark about this statement in his book, since I believe, it is
highly impossible to have ripe hosta seed which shall sprout plants [4
weeks (one month?) + 2 days] after pollination?
     In previous debates, regarding the time frame of hosta seed ripening,
I always stated this was 3 months (12 weeks roughly).  Then Ben Zonneveld,
came on the scene, and stated this could be done in 10 weeks, so I have
given in to that time period, having seen this happen last year.  However,
to move this seed ripening time down to 30 days?..I WOULD SAY THIS IS

Behind me, in this computer room: is a four foot wide window facing South,
to which I have added a shelf, and added a four foot fluorescent (two bulb)
light-fixture over top of this shelf.  On the shelf are hostas loaded with
seed-pods, AND'some are still blooming.  All are late season flowering
(longipes types).  I have the fluorescent light running non stop.  By
combining natural sun light and continuous artificial: I am curious to see:
if the hosta seed ripening process might be done quicker?
     Last year, I did this same indoor procedure with Katsuagawa and Grand
Slam, and by late October, I had pods splitting open.  Their seeds produced
plants, but germination was, one sixth of the seed provided plants.  Faster
seed ripening, would provide for sticking the pod parents back into the
ground outside, since the ground is usually not frozen until the end of
November.  When seed is ripe and collected all of the leaves are pretty
well frazzled (dead) and the pod parent has moved into dormancy, so it can
be replanted outside, or stuck in a fridge or cool place to do the six week
(or indefinite) dormancy period.
             Here is a story, which I consider kind of funny; and this will
show you, how ludicrous the indoor seed ripening procedure can really
become: when it is pushed to the MAX?
             The first time, that I potted hostas to ripen their seeds
inside the house (four (maybe five?) years ago?).  Well, I filled this same
shelf behind me with hostas Grand Slam, longipes latifolia, Ogon Amagi and
some other LATE BLOOMERS.  The criteria, I was using as my measuring stick;
to ensure seeds are fully ripe and would sprout plants; was to only collect
pods, at a time when they showed definite slitting in the pods, and were
changed in color from green to brown.
             Would you believe, seed was collected from Grand Slam, at the
end of February in the next year.  That is when the pods began splitting
open on their own, and this, was like a five month ripening seed process,
using natural window sunlight alone.  That seed however, provided for the
best germination I've ever seen, by reference to those types I was doing
the ripening indoors.  The CONFUSCIOUS SAYS moral of this story is: it is
easy to ripen hosta seeds indoors (via cut scapes, or live plants brought
inside?) but the proof in this pudding; is germinating that seed? LOL!
               From my above experiences, you can see why I added a
fluorescent light fixture to my seed ripening routine indoors.

                                       Our Gov't Electricity Supplier
(ONTARIO HYDRO) was privatized last May; and I see, that the cost of
electricity went up in price by over 38 percent in the month of August
alone?  Stupid me!..should be outside building a greenhouse?..and forget
about using electric-lighting on plant growing nonsense...right?  Better
yet, maybe I should just tear the roof off this house, and put the
greenhouse where my un-used attic is presently? <= awe forget it -- I'm
gone to play in the sunshine...

Now where did I leave my crowbar and sledge hammer, I'm tearing the roof
apart to make-me'self a greenhouse -- H'mmm, I wonder -- do I need a
building permit, to tear my house apart?

Why did I come here -- bye! {{B>))

                                             ...bill nash rhetorical ramblings