Re: Seeds and Maturation (for John Christensen etcetera)

  • Subject: Re: Seeds and Maturation (for John Christensen etcetera)
  • From: Jaspersail@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:44:17 -0400

Bill wrote:

<<I doubt that any seed pods will take on this indoor pollination routine however. I say this because and since: I remember trying to pollinate potted hostas which were brought indoors in previous years; and I seem to recall, that not a single indoor pollination ever took for me. >>

Billy (!), all of my breeder hostas are in pots and have spent some quality time indoors for controlled pollination this summer/fall.  I keep them at a west-facing window with no supplemental lighting.  I've had no problems getting pollen to "take," even with hostas that were brutally ripped from the earth just days earlier (I do try to keep the rootball& dirt as one mass when I pot these).  In fact, I just dug up a Cinnamon Sticks last week that is now (October) sending up two scapes!  It will be coming indoors soon...

I have found that plants start to lose their "vigor" if kept indoors too long (more than 3 weeks or so), and the result is that pods start to abort. I try to get them back outdoors as soon as possible.

I'll know soon what kind of germination rates I get from all of this... I just sowed my first seeds of the season over the weekend.

<<And here, you are trying to pollinate CUT FLOWERS?...please keep us informed? LOL! (AH'finds this kinda'funny?)  Good luck on that!>>

I admit, it does sound rather laughable... but on another forum someone reported that Ran Lydell had successfully done this.  So it's worth a shot, right?  The only thing I risk is failure!  If it works, the added bonus is that the scape is from Hosta 'Tsuma Tajima'!  ; )

As for seed maturation time, 4 weeks does seem rather quick, but 10 weeks sounds too long... I'm guessing it's somewhere in the middle for most hosta.

John Christensen
Ann Arbor, Michigan, Zone 5