FW: Ben's mail

  • Subject: FW: Ben's mail
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" hostanut@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:05:56 -0400

From: "zonneveld" <zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl>
To: hosta-open@hort.net
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:28:41 +0200
Subject: seed ripening

As long as the pods are green they might continue ripening
providing the temp is not too low So maybe it is better to cut them
and place them in water They will absorb food from the green pod if
in the light. So no need to add suger but a little bit of fertilizer might
I always mark the scape with the date of the first flower It then
takes from 10-13 weeks to ripen the seed ( small ones are a bit
faster) ( Zillis with 4 weeks must be a printing error). I am busy now
collecting seeds I dont bother how they look like I cut them when
the time is right. We dont get frost that early. The late flowering
ones I place on the window sill.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden