Re: H. 'Flamboyant'

  • Subject: Re: H. 'Flamboyant'
  • From: earthspirit bdn7458@mailbag.com
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:19:55 -0500

This time I noticed that one scape was faciated and branched out at about 11 inches from the top.
This may not be uncommon but I have never seen it in my garden before. Any
other such experiences out there?
****Glen, I can't speak to hostas, but in Lilium, fasciated scapes occur because of damage to the scape as it's emerging from the ground......many times because of freezing temps. Often lilies have huge numbers of flowers when they fasciate; I counted 52 flowers on Citronella one year. The next year, the scape goes back to normal unless it's damaged at emergence again. Jean Bawden, Madison, Wi