RE: New member introduction

  • Subject: RE: New member introduction
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" alietzow@myfamily.com
  • Date: 13 Oct 2003 08:38:58 -0600

Dear Kelly,
RE:>>I recently joined this list in hopes of learning more about hostas and
hopefully acquiring more.

A quick question.  Are you a member of your local, regional, and even national Hosta societies?  If not, there's never been a better time to join--the publications of each of these types of societies will contain lots of info on Hostas and lots of info on current vendors.  I happen to be a vendor who is "on sabbatical" and I can tell you, from what little exposure I had in two years of active growing and sales, that there are LOTS of reputable vendors out there.  The specialty growers/resellers will of course offer the latest varieties yet I was often, much to my dismay, impressed with what could find at the mass merchandisers.

Of course, the specialty grower is going to give you a lot more attention, and probably know what they are talking about. All the mass merchandiser can do, unfortunately, is point you to the aisle where the Hosta inventory is kept.   You're on your own as to which will perform better for you in your garden, how large is "large", etc.

IMO, it was a very smart thing, Kelly, to take a lot of garden tours.  I should have done so early in my Hosta life (which began @ 1993).  I didn't go on a major tour until 2000 and I lost a lot of time because of it.  Tours give you ideas of what you can do with YOUR garden, and mentors with whom you can consult along the journey.  Now and then, you even make some better than average friends!  Most of us are much nicer than we sound in an email message.  :-)

One such major opportunity will be in Des Moines in 2004 (I should say central Iowa because there are only a couple of gardens in Des Mones that will actually be open for tours).  When I toured some of them for the first time, I could not believe my eyes--such beautiful gardens, right here in my own "neighborhood".   Of course, there are beautiful Hosta gardens all over the country but I can promise you that you'd be in for a treat if you came to Des Moines next year.

There will be gardens with 1200+ varieties and lots of excellent vendors, etc.  If you're early in this Hosta venture and you want to quickly nurse your "addiction", coming to the AHS National Convention in (West) Des Moines would be a good investment.  Many, many reputable vendors will be there, including many that have been mentioned.

Unfortunately, even the good vendors sell plants that are really poor representations of the genus' strength, so making sure you're an informed consumer is a good bet.

Hosta la vista and ... enjoy your garden!
Andrew Lietzow
Des Moines, IA
Where the H. clausa variants have already started their winter nap though most others are still going strong...