Re: Fall Gold Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Fall Gold Hostas
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:41:27 -0400

Hi Glen,
Just what perversity may be at work? - NONE!
Really none. Nature is not perverse, it's just that we are either perverse
and/or don't understand nature sometimes.
The H. plantaginea thing is a fairly easy one to solve and I found the
solution to this puzzle many, many years ago. I saw wonderful green clumps
after untimely frosts in northern Italy. It did not affect them at all and
they were as green as can be. I studied this phenomenon and found it's a
matter of plant life sycle timing. This species is a late bloomer and set up
to go through its cycle, cold nights or not. Unless there is a cut-it-down,
hard freeze, it just keeps carrying on, usually because it wants to bloom
and procreate but up north the season isn't usually long enough to let it.
There is plenty of glucose in its veins to let it endure cold or frosty
nights and only a cut-it-down hard freeze will finally convince it to quit.
Early bloomers, on the other hand, have gone through their bloom/seed cycles
and are now at a stage that will let absciscic acid develop (a plant hormone
that triggers dormancy and color change - it shuts down chlorophyll and the
fall colors come to the fore - beautiful gold and orange in hostas). The
Late bloomers are not at a stage that will let that hormone develop - after
all they still want to procreate - so they don't get yellow  (i.e., shut
down their chlorophyll cycle) expecting it will get warmer and they will be
able go on to be productive. This usually happens in their native habitat.
They have cold nights there too but warmth invariably returns so it is
equipped to stand a few cold nights.
We are the ones who are perverse, taking these plant from their native
habitat and asking them to perform in a climate that they will never adjust
to (not in human lifetimes). Perverseness is humanity's middle name and we
are doing a bang-up job living up to it. For nature it is rebus sic
stantibus and there is nothing we can do about it. H. plantaginea is trying
to tell us that. George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL