Re: Fall Gold Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Fall Gold Hostas
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:26:20 -0400 (EDT)

Glen
George has given some very good answers to this question.  There is a
physical condtion that is, I believe a clue to the process.  I am sure
there is a direct relation ship to bloom time and basel bud devlopment.
In other words, ( in general) the sooner the bloom cycle is completed,
the sooner the new base buds devlope.  If you examine a hosta plant, you
will find that ( and this is pretty much true of all plants) the newly
devloping bud is actually splitting and pushing aganst the base of the
petiole .  this forces a partial "disconnect" and the leaf tends to stop
functioning.  As the inner buds devlope this process continues, to move
center of the plant.  Plants with later bloom, have later bud devlopment
so the whole process is not as early
Thanks
Ran Lydell