Re: Crosses

  • Subject: Re: Crosses
  • From: "Bill Nash" raffi@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:22:49 -0400

Glen Williams wrote: "I was wondering what other intentional crosses might
be considered in the
> same light. Not the endless open pollinations or mystery crosses , but
> crosses where both parents are named and held responsible for their
> offspring."

Firstly GLEN'bo Williams: I would like to concur on your accessment that the
*Tardiana seedlings*, which the late Eric Smith of England grew from
crossing tardiflora with sieboldiana Elegans: are truly a famous hybridizing
accomplishment!  The most amazing aspect of Smith's seedling-growing, was
the fact that every seedling was given an official name later.  Even
seedlings which were passed to other countries, were named there thereafter
e.g. the German tardianas.

If we look at other hybrids, which deserve Tardiana-comparative-attention as
breeding marvels; the first, which comes to mind off the top of my head: is
the late Robert Savory's Tardiana series of hostas.  I am also very fond of
Savory's "Lemon Lime hosta" which is ideal for edging large beds, in that,
it is a very rapid grower per it's clumping habits, has beautful lime green
colored leaves; provides a short growth height; and even performs well in
direct sunlight, whereby it's florets even appear reddish in colour
(depending on how the sun's rays hit and reflect from same eh?).  If we
could read, Mr. Savory's notebooks, of his works, I'm sure we would be
amazed, and most particularly considering the fact, that he began his
hosta-growing at the age of 12, thanks to his grandma's gift of a hosta?

I think, I would like to ask a question here, pertaining to a Paul Aden
hosta, named *Fragrant Bouquet* --ie..-- How does one arrive at such a
variegated-fragrant-masterpiece of hybridizing?  This is in consideration of
the facts: that the pollen-parent and fragrant-factor came from H.
plantaginea hosta, which is late season blooming and not very fertile on top
of that.  Then the next question which arises is: how did Mr. Aden use this
pollen on a striated leaf pod-parent (mother-plant?) to arrive at a
variegated multi-colored hosta seedling, when most (if not all?) of the
streaky mothers to be used to do this -- are finished blooming -- when
plantaginea comes into flower?  Did he store pollen from plantaginea, into
the next growing season, like keeping it viable from one blooming season
into the next?  I would like to suggest that this is the only way Fragrant
Bouquet could have been created, considering the earlier bloom habit of
streaky breeders and the variegated stable hosta seedling known as Fragrant
Bouquet, which Paul Aden provided?  I would like to also suggest, that this
Fragrant Bouquet breeding accomplishment by Mr.Paul Aden, is comparable to
the kind of pollination done by the late Eric Smith in Great Britain.

Of course there are many other hybridizing breeding-marvels out there, done
by many others -- too numerous to mention here -- so I won't go any further

B>)) *laugh*
                   and be happy *PEACE IN OUR TIME*
/bill nash guelph ontario canada raffi@sympatico.ca
and regarding below>>>----- Original Message -----