re: Frosted Jade

  • Subject: re: Frosted Jade
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:03:53 -0700 (PDT)

Total yearly or even monthly water doesn't matter. If
you've had a lot of water then a dry spell will not
cause as much problem.
The main thing is consist ant water. I sat up a mister
last year that ran 24/7 except during the rain and
even then I didn't always turn it off. The plants
never showed any effect from summer heat although in
the zone where the mist ran the temp was down as much
as 20 degrees. I think I can say the mister created
constant water and reduced the temp both or either
would be a great benefit.
The substance of 'Frosted Jade' doesn't seem to be
great to "me" which would contribute to the conditions
you describe.
Finally if I were trying to have pristine plants all
the time then I would water every 3 days minimum
unless nature intervenes.
I have so many plants and so little money, I almost
never water and they will recover fine.

--- Cindy Johnson <cidjohnson323@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Butch,
> You're so smart!  I checked my garden journal and
> according to a weather
> article I saved there was a 9 day hot streak the
> first part of July which
> ended with a high temp of 97 on the last day of the
> streak..  The article
> said the hot streak tied for third with streaks set
> in 1988, 1949, 1937 and
> 1932.
> We've since had a lot of rain here and the year to
> date total is about 5
> inches above normal.  Do you think this hosta should
> recover nicely?  The
> other hostas in the same area didn't show this kind
> of damage.
> Cindy Johnson
> White Bear Lake, MN
> zone 4a