Re: Wollemi Pine

  • Subject: Re: Wollemi Pine
  • From: DALE MURPHY dale.murphy@rogers.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:43:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi guys,
As a member of the American Conifer Society, I had read of the Wollemi Pine some time ago.  I recall the article brought tears of amazement.
I cannot now find the issue of Conifer Quarterly, where, I'm sure, I read of soon to be available seeds being offered, as well as the one gallon 3 yr olds.
I may be totally out to lunch on this, but I am greatly looking forward to starting a couple of seeds!  What a wonderful find!
Dale Murphy
Mississauga, ON

"R.A. Smith" <rasmith6@yahoo.com> wrote:

Acutally got to see one of these fine trees at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Syndey about a year ago -- it was caged in to keep someone from stealing it! Thought the tour guide stated they required a specific environment and there was a very long waiting list to purchase one when released. I'm sure the auction will fetch quite a sum. The location of the natural stand is kept a secret (as I'm sure you already know). Thanks for the update.

Roger in MD

Glen Williams wrote:
Dear Hosta Folk:

If you don't know about the Wollemi Pine...you should.I think that it
is the oldest contiuously exisitng pine/conifer on earth discovered in
Austrailia a few years ago. . I have been following the story for a few
years. Think of it as a companion tree to your hostas (at least in some
zones). I recieve the Wollemi Pine Quarterly; I know compulsive/obsessive
behavior when I see it.

To read the full version of WOLLEMI WATCH with pictures go to

Welcome to the eighth edition of the Wollemi Watch, a quarterly newsletter
for Wollemi Pine enthusiasts everywhere.

We are just three months away from the international release of the first
Wollemi Pines. Preparations are underway for the launch of the first
generation trees in October; with the smaller pot plant sized Wollemi Pines
on track to be available in April 2006.
Read the full online newsletter

Newsflash: Wollemi Pine Global Launch in October
The worldwide launch of the Wollemi Pine will be an occasion befitting
Australia's newest icon; a public exhibition at the Royal Botanic Gardens,
Sydney, culminating in an international Sotheby's auction of the Collectors
Edition trees from 14 - 23 October. Several preview events showcasing the
Wollemi Pine will take place in London, Frankfurt and Tokyo in the lead up
to the Sydney based auction on October 23.
Read more

Behind the Scenes: David Noble

" East Dorset, Vermont, Patricia W. Read of East Dorset, slipped down the
rabbit hole June 18 th after a short illness....." .Taken from the Rutland
Herald June 21 2005 Obituary section.

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont