Re: Wollemi Pine

  • Subject: Re: Wollemi Pine
  • From: DALE MURPHY dale.murphy@rogers.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:59:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Viktoria, Rich,

What issue was that?  I can't find Vol. 21, Iss. 2. (that was Spring, 2004!)  Can't believe that article was way back then!

I grow a few cupressus, cedrus and chamaecyparis that are zone 6 or 7 plants.  I am in Canadian zone 6b or US zone 5b, but I also now have a heavily wooded suburban back yard and my neighbors think I'm the crazy treehugger.  I only say that because it WAS a dark green velvet flatland, 10+ years ago, (back then my neighbors LOVED it).  I have probably a one or two zone higher microclimate AND I wrap all my purchased 'dwarf' conifers for their first one or two years, weaning them away from the winter protection asap.  Because some of these have come from Oregon, they have to be acclimatized and that is easiest to do with the youngest/smallest plants.

I wouldn't want to start with a 3 year old Wollemi, for fear of hurting it, even in it's first year with me.  But I do think I can acclimatize a seed or two or four.  By the time they reached eight to ten feet, they would each be donated to (semi-)local glasshouse, conservatory and botanical gardens.  I would just love to be able to start them and I seem to be not-too-bad at growing conifers from seed.  (They sometimes take years and I'd be thrilled to have started a Wollemi!)
I don't think any conifer would like to be inside (my house) for the winter, but maybe I could set up a cool, humid room (instead of just a hosta seedling corner).  It's sure worth a thought!

Thanks, both of you, for your input.

Dale

hororl@aol.com wrote:
Hi, All:

Being a plantaholic I would love to add this amazing conifer to my collection. However, I think I read in the "Conifer Quarterly" that this pine is hardy in zone 7 and above. Dale, maybe you can grow it in the house and summer it outdoors like many palms and the Australian Fern tree?

Hostally,

Rich Horowitz