Re: Cutting back perennieals

I ALWAYS cut back my perennials for winter.  The first year I did not cut them
back - I thought the dead stuff sticking out of the snow would make neat
photo's - another of my hobbies... But I was disappointed and have cut them
back since..  I just throw all the cuttings on the compost pile..  The other
thing I found was that it's easier to plant your spring bulbs between your
perennials - I leave some of the stubble on the plants so I can tell where NOT
to dig.. I also add lots of organic material when I am planting spring
bulbs...  And lastly, I tend to NOT be the first one in the garden in the
spring (it takes me a while to get rolling) so spring cleanup was more tedious
since new growth is present and you must be much more careful where you step
in the spring than in the fall.

Having said al that, and being new to the hosta gardening hobby, I will let
all of the oak leaves that fall on my hosta beds stay there since all but a
few of my hostas are just first year plants.  I am trying to help them through
their first Minn-E-Sota winter, some of which can be pretty cold..

Ronnie