Re: a great hosta

Well, first of all my reply wasn't meant to be all that serious, and I didn't mean to start another crisis in hostadom.  Never thought I'd have to do this but let me restate my comment.

Flowers? On hostas? Oh come now.  <vbg>

Never being one to know when to shut up and leave well enough alone, here goes:

There are a couple of hostas that have reasonable flowers.  Obviously plantaginea and a number of its hybrids, I also like Raspberry Sorbet, and maybe a few others.  What's wrong with hosta flowers?  God help me for disparaging a hosta, but even the most fabulous flower you can think of on a hosta doesn't hold a candle to the plainest daylily, or to hundreds of other perennials, annual, and tropicals I can think of.   If they were truly beautiful, there wouldn't be so many hosta growers who cut them off.  Now I know that not all hosta growers cut off the flowers, but have you ever heard of a daylily grower doing that?

Now, I agree that we should breed hostas for improved flowers.  That's because hosta flowers need improving.  I don't think it disproves my original premise.  Now please, don't anybody else get mad at me cause I think hosta flowers are less than thrilling.  I'm really not a bad person.

Love, Chick

ECPep@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 10/15/98 4:15:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,