Re: a great hosta

What's wrong with hosta flowers?  God help me
> for disparaging a hosta, but even the most fabulous flower you can
> think of on a hosta doesn't hold a candle to the plainest daylily, or
> to hundreds of other perennials, annual, and tropicals I can think
> of.

Chick,
If hosta flowers aren't so fabulous, then why did I win a blue ribbon
for my 'August Moon' flower at the county fair this year - in a category
that allowed "any perennial not listed"? (This was a big category - they
only have separate categories for about 10 perennials).  I realize it's
only the county fair, but the point is to NOT discount how other people
feel about hosta flowers! The judges for the show are State Certified,
and go to many county fairs each year.
  And, I HAVE removed entire flower scapes from daylilies that are
young, in order to get them to produce more fans faster - just as one
would do with a hosta. And, I think the "plainest daylily" is, in fact,
ugly (check those awful ditch lilies). But that's a matter of opinion.

Diane
Zone 5, Ohio