Re: a great hosta

In a message dated 10/16/98 3:44:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, CCREDUX@aol.com
writes:

<< << What is wrong with flowers on hosta?  >>
 I confess that I once deplored hosta flowers when I had rather juvenile
plants
 and a small collection;however, I have come to really like the flowers. What
 is more beautiful in a shade garden than a mass of Lancifolia in flower; the
 beauty of the kikutiis in flower; the majesty of nigrescens in flower; a mass
 of flowering Decorata? >>

Thanks for positive commentary, Clyde and Ran.  I have been growing very small
hostas from seed.  When they form a small compact and round clump bearing many
stalks of flowers (any color) in the exact center they are perfect for a rock
garden.  The best clumps  flower in August when other rock plants are resting.
Among the rocks paired with mosses these small hosta produce the natural look
usually desired by the rock gardener.

The large white flowering hostas are good pot plants and the very tall
flowering cvs do well by water (in our case a pond).  One of the best
container combinations you can contrive is a plantaginea surrounded by a dark
blue annual lobelia.  A hybrid white nicotiana can be added for early summer
and pulled up when the hosta blooms.  Crystal Place lobelia, a very deep
intense blue is smashing with the pale light green of plantaginea.

Hosta gardeners should look for the many ways one can use hostas.  New ideas
are always welcome.  David J. has one growing in a tree.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
z4