Re: hybridizing question

Rick

I still have some questions.  I understand (barely) about plastids, but was
under the impression that they were involved mostly with variegation.

My confusion has mainly to do with leaf shape, size and texture.  It seems to
me that  a nicely streaked plant with poor leaf characteristics crossed with a
plant with excellent foliage yields mostly plants with poor foliage.  I would
expect that at least 1/4th of the seedlings would have leaf shape, size, etc in
favor of the pollen parent.  I recognize that there may be a combination of
genes involved, and other factors that would skew the percentage, but it seems
to me that darn near everything looks like mostly like mama.  I don't think
self pollination is much of a problem with the way I handle the flowers.

Of course, if everything worked the way we expected, breeding new hostas might
be so easy it wouldn't be any fun.

Chick

I deleted most of your message here to save space.