Re: Growing hostas under light

Chris,
	I wouldn't plant small tissue culture plants outside this late in the
season.  The storage roots don't have enough time to get established
before the plants go dormant.  Also small plants not established in the
ground may frost heave, desicating and killing the plants.  I would
leave them in their original trays, and let them go dormant naturally,
protecting them from abrupt temp. changes.  Then place them in an
unheated garage or enclosed porch for 30-60 days at temps. of 35 to 40
degrees F.  I would not let them be subjected to extreme cold temps, and
I would inspect them weekly to be sure they don't dry out.  You don't
want the soil soaking wet, just damp.  After the alloted time, I would
bring them indoors and place them under lights in a 65-70 F area, and
begin a regime of light fertilization about quarter recommended
strength, after they begin to grow.
	I had a flat of Great Exp. that I purchased in a trade show in Jan. of
last year.  after growing them under lights for a month or so, they
began to go dormant.  I placed the whole flat in the refrig. for 45
days.  Afterwhich I took them out and placed them under lights and they
came back bigger and better.  In the spring I planted them in the ground
and they grew fine all summer.  Hope this helps.
Tom Micheletti
The Hosta Patch
Deer Park, IL