Re: Hosta site back up.

Jean Carpenter wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has any experience, information or otherwise, comments,
> on hosta, Samuri? I'm not sure of the spelling but that is what was on the
> homemade tag. Is there such a plant or was I a fool again?  It is a nice
> plant.
>
> Jean Carpenter,
>  zone 6, where we are expecting a slight frost tonight.
> backhoe@scan.missouri.org

Hello, Jean!  H. 'Samurai,' (named for the Japanese warriors) is an
improved 'Frances Williams.'  It does not burn here, but it is in full
shade.  It is one of three "improved Frances Williams" cultivars that I
know of: 'Samurai,' 'Aurora Borealis,' and 'Olive Bailey Langdon.'  My
favorite is 'Aurora Borealis,' very large, with no brown edges (I have
it in high shade with lots of light, but not direct sun).  I've only had
'Olive Bailey Langdon' for a year, so the jury is still out.			Irwin
Johnson, Elm Grove, Wisconsin