The Phoenix, The I.A.C. and the Preferred Growers Program

  • To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: The Phoenix, The I.A.C. and the Preferred Growers Program
  • From: "Daniel Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:43:08 -0400

At the Winter Scientific Meeting in Chicago in January of this year I
talked with several dissatisfied members of the American Hosta Growers

Their dissatisfaction centered around the fact that Bob Solberg,
President of the AHGA, and a Vice President of the American Hosta
Society, voted for the I.A.C. program and said the growers were behind
the program without notifying the members of the AHGA before hand. They
were also concerned about the unfairness of such programs.

There are many growers in the AHGA who are strongly opposed to the
I.A.C. and the punitive aspects of the Preferred Growers Program.

This connection between the AHS and the AHGA has the appearance of being

Jim Wilkins, President of the American Hosta Society, has said that the
entire I.A.C. program is his idea,  is on hold at the moment, and sees
no need for further discussion.

Obviously, the Board of the American Hosta Society feels they have the
right to financially punish hosta growers who sell unregistered hostas,
even though a hosta can only be registered by it's introducer. The irony
is, a grower has no control over whether an introducer registers their
introduction, and a grower can not register someone else's introduction.

I think the bigger question is: Why does one person, Jim Wilkins, feel
compelled to create, and then to attempt to enforce, a policy that he
says he alone is responsible for creating?

We, that are opposed to the I.A.C. are not satisfied with the fact that
these programs are on hold. We will not be satisfied until these
programs are completely dropped.

Like the mythical Phoenix arose from it's ashes, the I.A.C. and it's
enforcement arm, the Preferred Growers Program, will rise again from
their ashes, too.

And by surprise, no doubt.

Will I let this subject die? Yes I will, I just won't rest until it gets
a decent burial.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7