Re: I.C.A. Birthday Party Tour

Clyde:

>It would be best to do what Joe suggests. In other words, just forget
>about it. It is silly from a logical viewpoint. It is nothing more
>than a child's game.

It seems to me that people often make more work for themselves then
they have to and that a lot of times people don't tell the whole
story.  The ICA and Prefered Growers program at first seem like they
have desirable goals - get all unregistered hostas registered.
However, after reading about all of this for I don't know how long
now, I'm convinced that there is more going on then meets the eye.  I
discussed some of this with Jim Hawes in a private message and told
him I would be willing to bet a good bottle of beer that they was more
to all of this then meets the eye.  Jim said he owes me a bottle of
good beer, but he didn't tell me his idea of what a good bottle of
beer was!

After reading some of Jim Wilken's messages to Jim Hawes it became
obvious that words were being carefully chosen and that everything was
being put into a positive light.  My experience is that people in
positions of power often speak around the truth and it may take some
effort to really figure out what the truth is.  For example, after I
was removed from the daylily robin by our little nitwit president the
new incoming president said he would take care of everything after he
became president.  Well, I waited and I waited and nothing happened.
Eventually, he tells me he has procedures and protocol to follow and
that his hands are tied!  Well, I explain to him that the former
president just removed me without any board vote, so why couldn't he
do just the reverse.  Well, the message I received back was a childish
tirade and then he tells me he isn't going to answer any more of my
emails.  Well, he said one thing, but it didn't take me too long to
find out that the board TOLD him to reinstate me on the robin, but he
didn't want to because Mr. Big Wig, who didn't want me on the robin,
didn't give him, the president, his permission!  And besides that Mr.
Big Wig was appointed Chief Finanical Officer for an organization that
has a half million dollars in its treasury!  As it turns out our
gutless coward of a president didn't want to do anything because as it
turns out Mr. Big Wig is a close friend of his!  Surprise!

I think that if you and others like Jim Hawes were to dig deep and ask
the right questions you might get some idea of what is going on behind
the scene.  However, don't expect that you will get much cooperation.
In most cases you probably won't even get an answer.  People who
refuse to answer legitimate questions like our gutless coward of a
Daylily Society President usually have something to hide.  In my case
it wasn't too difficult to discover the truth, but it may be harder to
find out the backroom reasons for the ICA and Prefered Growers
program.  Speaking of not getting an answer, I still haven't heard
anything back from our President-elect for the daylily society.  I
wonder what she is afraid of?

The purpose of registering hostas, or any other genera, it to make
sure that each cultivar has one name and that the same name isn't used
for different plants.  It seems to me that since there is a list of
unregistered hostas that it would be easy to tell the registrar to
treat these hostas as if they were registered and not to let their
names be used by someone else.  Then, since all these hostas are then
"offical" there wouldn't be any need for a Preferred Growers program
because there wouldn't be any un-offical hostas that couldn't be sold,
exhibited, mentioned in the journal or sold at the AHS auction.
Problem solved!

Joe Halinar