Re: New Rules

Chick wrote:

> I think the Journal's purpose is to inform, educate, and entertain the
> membership.  I do not see how any of these purposes are served by pretending that
> hostas that have names do not really have them unless they are registered.  The
> only reason to exclude unregistered names from the Journal is to coerce
> originators to register their plants.   If the editor has a good picture of a good
> hosta that may not be registered, what benefit is there to the reader to refuse to
> publish it or to refuse to identify the plant by its name?  Seems silly to me.
>
> Chick

*********
Chick
I also think that to pretend that the many plants that are named , but
not regestered, don't exist, (by name)untill actual registration takes
place is simply silly.  This (publishing names) should not be banned in
convention gardens, in the journal, or in a AHS auction.  I do disagree
with you , however on using pictures of unrigestered hostas and a
corrosponding name in the Journal.  I Believe this is one area where the
AHS has a logical position.  This is especially true with new plants.
This is a real "carrot" that the AHS can hold out to hybridizers, and
introducers.
Respectifully
Ran Lydell