Re: New Rules

RL wrote:

>   I Believe this is one area where the
> AHS has a logical position.  This is especially true with new plants.
> This is a real "carrot" that the AHS can hold out to hybridizers, and
> introducers.

Maybe so, maybe not.  I guess what I wonder is, why do we need this kind of carrot?

In my opinion, one of the reasons so many hostas went unregistered, including all of
mine, is that the AHS kept changing the registrations requirements annually, making it
first more complicated, then making it simpler, but at the same time announcing a
program that, in my opinion, provides an incentive not to register plants.

I have been accused of being against registration, which is simply not the case.  I have
said many times that my argument is with the Preferred Growers Program, not
registration.  I have always intended to register my plants, at least until this new
policy was announced. When I first sent for the registration forms, several years ago, I
found that there was information required that I did not have, so I needed to wait
another growing season to complete the forms.  By that time, someone had changed the
requirements and the process was made more complicated, with much more information
requested - time of bloom in relation to other plants, vein counts, flower shapes, etc.,
along with a picture of a leaf with a ruler in it.  Whoops, back to the drawing board.
For some strange reason I did not have a picture of a leaf of each plant with a ruler in
it.  The registration form stated flatly that "the photos and fee are required and the
cultivar will not be registered without them" (see, I still have the forms).  In
addition, the form stated that "An undivided clump should be observed for at least 5-7
years before the cultivar is registered.  Well, several people have told me that nobody
paid any attention to that requirement, but I decided that if they didn't mean it, they
shouldn't have said it.  My plants had not been under observation as undivided clumps
for 5-7 years, so it appeared to me that the AHS was saying that I should not register
them yet on one hand, while complaining that I don't register them on the other.

So anyway, next year I get out my ruler and take pictures because the requirements are
changed once again and now you don't need all that stuff and nobody cares how old the
plant is.  But before I can send in the registrations, Jim Wilkins announces a policy
with a stated intent of getting all hostas registered.  It took me about 30 seconds to
figure out that: 1. The policy would not get all hostas registered. 2. If I went along
with the program, about 25% of the plants I sell would be made worthless, since I would
be prohibited from selling them.  3. If I did not go along with the program, I might be
one of the few sources for all of these great hostas that the AHS says shouldn't be
sold.  And 4. (and most importantly) who the hell is the AHS to tell me what plants I
can sell?

So here's what I think, if anybody really cares. (I'm in to making lists tonight)
1. Very few people have ever been against registration.  I think all hostas should be
registered, and have said so many times.
2. The reason so many hostas went unregistered was because it was a pain in the ass.
The person who is in charge of changing registration procedures every year should be
given a different job.
3. If the board had simply made it simpler and cheaper, and nicely asked everyone to get
their plants registered, they probably would have had just as much success, without a
single complaint.
4. I am not going to get rich selling outlaw hostas because nobody else is going to stop
selling them either.  Damn.

Chick