Re: IAC...Contrary to Bylaws?

Butch Ragland wrote:

> A board with the power to institute such rules with out discussion and
> proper debate with those effected by the rules will make another arbitrary
> rule.
>
> Change the rules that govern the board not the rules the board makes.

And speaking of the Bylaws, I found an interesting little part of the
AHS Bylaws...

  "Article XII -  Amendments
  Section A.  These bylaws shall be amended when and amendment is
subitted in writing to the Executive Committee, is approved by the
Executive Committee and subsequently published in a Society publication
for a MAIL-IN VOTE OF THE MEMBERSHIP   OR  orally read and subsequently
voted upon at the annual membership meeting.  Either procedure is to be
approved by a two-thirds vote."  (Capital letters by me. )

 Now...what I want to know is who decides what form the vote shall take
place?????  I think that all amendments should be by mail-in vote. I
haven't been an AHS member for long enough, but do any long-time members
ever recall Bylaw amendments being voted upon by mail?? This article
contains a blatant error in that it doesn't specify who decides in what
manner amendments are voted upon, and it states amendments can be voted
upon in two ways. That, in my opinion, gives the Executive Board too
much room to slip amendments past the two thirds of the members who are
unable to attend the National Convention if not because of finances, but
because of a lack of hotel space at the convention locations.
   Let's do some math..if only about 500 of the total number of (did
someone say around 4,000) AHS members can attend a National Convention,
and a 2/3 vote is necessary to pass amendments, then we clearly have a
big, big problem. All amendments that were voted upon at the National
Convention this year in Ann Arbor cannot be instituted since a 2/3 vote
of the membership was not attained. Another question about Article XII
is whether the stated 2/3 vote is a vote of the entire membership or of
the attendees of the convention???
  If the IAC and the Preferred Growers Program were voted into existence
and instituted at the Winter Scientific Meeting and not the National
Convention, then this also clearly violates the Bylaws!!

Diane Frederick
Cleveland Hts., OH