Re: IAC...Contrary to Bylaws?

Number 1: It was not voted in at the winter scientific meeting with is not
an AHS meeting. It was presented there but that gathering has no power to
vote on anything that effects the AHS.

Number 2: The AHS has no power over local clubs therefore a local club
which does not have to be made up of any AHS members and usually doesn't
have 100% membership in the AHS.

Number 3: It appears to me that the "Executive Committee" has the power to
stop any suggestion at the "Executive Committee" level and never allow it
to come to a vote. Help me understand the wording of Article XII -

At 06:13 PM 10/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Butch Ragland wrote:
>> A board with the power to institute such rules with out discussion and
>> proper debate with those effected by the rules will make another arbitrary
>> rule.
>> Change the rules that govern the board not the rules the board makes.
>And speaking of the Bylaws, I found an interesting little part of the
>AHS Bylaws...
>  "Article XII -  Amendments
>  Section A.  These bylaws shall be amended when and amendment is
>subitted in writing to the Executive Committee, is approved by the
>Executive Committee and subsequently published in a Society publication
>for a MAIL-IN VOTE OF THE MEMBERSHIP   OR  orally read and subsequently
>voted upon at the annual membership meeting.  Either procedure is to be
>approved by a two-thirds vote."  (Capital letters by me. )
> Now...what I want to know is who decides what form the vote shall take
>place?????  I think that all amendments should be by mail-in vote. I
>haven't been an AHS member for long enough, but do any long-time members
>ever recall Bylaw amendments being voted upon by mail?? This article
>contains a blatant error in that it doesn't specify who decides in what
>manner amendments are voted upon, and it states amendments can be voted
>upon in two ways. That, in my opinion, gives the Executive Board too
>much room to slip amendments past the two thirds of the members who are
>unable to attend the National Convention if not because of finances, but
>because of a lack of hotel space at the convention locations.
>   Let's do some math..if only about 500 of the total number of (did
>someone say around 4,000) AHS members can attend a National Convention,
>and a 2/3 vote is necessary to pass amendments, then we clearly have a
>big, big problem. All amendments that were voted upon at the National
>Convention this year in Ann Arbor cannot be instituted since a 2/3 vote
>of the membership was not attained. Another question about Article XII
>is whether the stated 2/3 vote is a vote of the entire membership or of
>the attendees of the convention???
>  If the IAC and the Preferred Growers Program were voted into existence
>and instituted at the Winter Scientific Meeting and not the National
>Convention, then this also clearly violates the Bylaws!!
>Diane Frederick
>Cleveland Hts., OH
Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5