Re: New Rules

Thus, for the year 1999 there will be
between 400 and 500 new registrations!

Ok, so AHS pushes for registration. What do you get? 4 or 5 hundred the first year of pushing. My guess is maybe 150 are fairly original and half that are real nice. It seems to me that what is going to happen is a real mess. Lots of names used up on plants that probably shouldn't have been registered in the 1st place.

Here is a question--How many of the registered cultivars of past years can't be found anywhere any more?

Has anybody ever "unregistered" a plant? Let's say Joe Smith registered his 'Freddie Williams'. 2 years later his clump(the only one) gets southern blight real bad and it is toast. Well that registered plant is no more. -----I am sure there are some that have gone by the way side.

I guess I am looking at this a couple of different ways.

1)Shouldn't there be more guidelines than "I made a new plant, I like it, I'm registering it". Some kind of approval by peers should be taken. Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't a registration be in some sense, a seal of approval. "This plant was nice enough that it was approved to be registered", said the Hybridizer.

2)I know the above statement means probably another committee : (       I just believe that in a short time we will see 7, 8 maybe 10 thousand registered Hosta. So what, who cares. It will just be file cabinets full of paper and pictures that nobody really will be able to comprehend because it will be just so overwhelming.

3) Then along comes Jan Smith. She hybridizes the most spectacular plant of the decade. Everybody loves it. She is ready to name it. That name is gone, so is that one. You get what I'm saying. Tons of mediocre plants (at best) have taken all the good names. So, what was gained? I don't know myself.

Registration is good, but it just seems like this "push" may corrupt the system. Then registration will be "So what, who cares"

Ray Wiegand