Re: IAC...Contrary to Bylaws?

Butch Ragland wrote:

> Number 1: It was not voted in at the winter scientific meeting with is not
> an AHS meeting. It was presented there but that gathering has no power to
> vote on anything that effects the AHS.
>
> Number 2: The AHS has no power over local clubs therefore a local club
> which does not have to be made up of any AHS members and usually doesn't
> have 100% membership in the AHS.
>
> Number 3: It appears to me that the "Executive Committee" has the power to
> stop any suggestion at the "Executive Committee" level and never allow it
> to come to a vote. Help me understand the wording of Article XII -
> Amendments.

O.k., I was wrong, then about the WSM happenings. Guess I goofed.
   Your Number 2 point - the local societies have nothing to do with
voting on AHS amendments. Only AHS members do. The article clearly
states that a mail-in vote is an option. The point I have tried to make
is that the Exec. Board has ignored this option, and the Bylaws state a
2/3 vote is necessary to pass. Is that a 2/3 vote of the ENTIRE
membership, or only those that can attend the National Convention? The
article isn't clear on this matter.
  Your Number 3 point hits the nail on the head. The Exec. Board can
stop any amendment from coming to a vote.  But if it's an amendment they
DO want, they also have found, in the loophole of Article XII, a way to
keep the majority of AHS members from being allowed to vote on
amendments -  if less than 1/8 of the total membership (500 out of 4000)
attends the convention.  This way they can be more assured of getting
amendments passed without a 2/3 majority of the ENTIRE membership vote.
  I hope this has clarified my view.

Diane