Re: New Rules

Gerry if it is any comfort that is exactly what I've been saying for 2-3
years. On the AHS robin was a debate for months about what "SHOULD" be
registered which of course leads to some group making the judgements.

I want to decide with my money and if I make a mistake it is my problem, I
don't want big government protecting me or big AHS. If BIG AHS educates me
then I can absorb it or not, if BIG AHS entertains me then I can be amused
or not. I want to decide what the RIGHT thing to do is MYSELF.

>At 10:11 PM 10/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>Paul,
>>
>>you are correct. I guess my line of sight is-- Why the push to register
>>everything? It just seems completely illogical.
>
>Seems to me that the real utility of official registration is as a
>database..useful for hybridizers and historians who want to trace
>parentage, looking for desirable traits or historical trends. So in itself
>it is neither positive nor negative, but neutral.
>
>As a consumer and gardener, it has no meaning for me what-so-ever..What
>*does* have meaning, though, is the misuse of registration by the AHS. I
>see no outcome here but control over what I can buy and grow.
>
>And including some kind of "worthiness" test makes it even worse. It leaves
>the development and acceptance of new varieties up to some ephemeral
>criterion of what is currently considered "good" or "bad" in hostas. How
>about letting me decide what I like?
>
>Gerry

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5