Re: Success! <-: "Yippeekiaye seedlin-dreamin cow'pokies!" -- we be Rockin'N'rollin NOW? :)G)

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: Re: Success! <-: "Yippeekiaye seedlin-dreamin cow'pokies!" -- we be Rockin'N'rollin NOW? :)G)
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 21:05:39 -0400

*REGARDING SUCCESS?* and pertaining to the setup of a 'Seedbank
Trading/Exchange in Norway' (a non-profit function) ..no money changing
hands -- just ornamental flower seeds moving around the world?
           Iril Kolle of Norway, the founder of same, wrote at 02:48 PM
10/6/99 +0200: ...(as follows)
<< "Gramps, I have a cold with severe coughs (bronchitis on the way?) so
I've been in bed for the last couple of days. BUT! I got a letter from the
Govermenent; "Farming/agriculture" dept., which got me out of bed really
quick today: stating that they *recommended* I'll get an import permit for:
25 kg Hosta seed, from Canada, US, UK and Japan and valid to 1.4.2000" >>
      >>--hey--> Iril'luv? ..get plenty of vitamin C-fluids into yer'self
real quick like! ..garlic & butter in hot-milk be good? ...keeps vamps away
too! <g:>)) and get well fast ...ain't no time to be lying around in bed?
--<just kidding>-- U have all the time in the world! :-G))
<<< Iril also wrote: "SO! It's very likely that the next Dept. (which
issues the import permit based on these guys recommendations) will come
through BECAUSE: I've got a letter from mail/customs in Oslo saying, they
had a package there for me, which would be returned to you the 5th this
month. I faxed them a copy of the recommendation letter + wrote and said
please hold on to the package, looks like I'll get a permit! And WOW guess
what came in the mail today: A big package from Canada! The one you sent
sept 7 finally came through - and I didn't have to pay any money either!!!
I was afraid they'd insist on handling fees (80 NOK= approx $10) but NO, so
they've probably accepted that the permit is on the way OR they have gotten
ir (and I haven't got the letter/permit yet).  Is this cool or what? I must
be the ONLY one in Norway who has such a permit!
      >>-"U"-->  ..be a pretty cool girl Iril! ..now? ..heat yerself up!
...all yer bits/bites & computer pieces so that, we can get this "Seed
Trading & Sharing Show" on the road :-(huh? <lol>
             NOTE ONE:  Seed package #1 (Sept7th mailing) contained a
full-quart of preferred hosta seed (#76 'Let's Streak' ~ F3
generation).  Collected from streaky-leaf, striped-scape'd pod-parents late
October 1998.  Seed was stored frozen, since last year, so germination
should be rather good.  However, due to that package sitting in customs for
a month, likely in 80 degree Fahrenheit room temperatures, cuz I know
Government buildings are kept hot (with all windows open too!) -- so I
would recommend? ..you put that seed into a freezer, to revitalize the
germination core of this seed <= whatever this means? <g> AND/OR...
            If you have that other project ready to go "Rolls Royce of
Flower Beds?" sow the whole works into rows spaced ...say 8 inches apart,
which will allow you to plant in between these seedling sprouting rows next
summer (double cropping?).   Having done the above (sowing) you will have
completed yer Millennium Project; and shall have, all the
striated-leaf-Breeders anyone may ever want/need?  When these hostas sprout
in early summer of 2000, you are going to weed out the all-green seedlings,
and only keep the streakies (right?); and this, can also be done late
summer, autumn and/or each succeeding year?  BTW ...you can also sow the
seed soon as frost has come out of ground next Spring, but seed will have
to be stored "frozen" until then, to maintain germination MAX.  After
sowing the seed, sprinkle enough medium overtop of the seed to bury it
(peatmoss is good?) ..rains tend to wash seed away.  I'm suggesting, you
sow the STREAK POTENTIAL seed you've already received, since I have many
hundreds of preferred striped/streaky scapes/pods already flagged for this
year's harvest of seed, for you to distribute via Seed Bank?
<< Iril wrote further >>: "I'm crawlin' back into bed, Gramps - hope I'll
be better the next couple days, I have to finish the hosta bed, and temps
is +2 at night now. Today it's sunny & nice and +13 so life is good. Or
rather; if I was well it'd be GREAT!!!!  Hugs, Iril"
----------------------- Ma says: Iril'girl ..don't ferget t'collect yer
Po'taye'ters from de compost pile"! <vbg>
 >>-- TO ALL READING THIS --> We've had various & many questions related to
the 'Seed Trading Exchange' being set up in Norway; and anyone, wanting to
find out more information can email "Iril Kolle" <iril@iril.no> ...whom is
running this seed trade Worldwide and/or go to Iril's Web Site listed in
signature below...
                                   hosta'lly yours
-)G)) [gramps to ALL]

email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/
TO JOIN hybridizer's list-server = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise
TO JOIN hosta-picture-group list-server =
TO JOIN AHS POLITICAL FORUM = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/ahspol
A Seed-bank/exchange in NORWAY =
TO JOIN British Hosta/Daylily Discussion group =