AHS Journal Photo Policy

From: Kevin Walek <Giboshiman@AOL.COM>

Would someone forward this message to hosta open as well as any other
hosta list they wish.  I am at work and do not have my address mist with
me to send to all the various sources

Chick, I would love to respond, but first I must say that you really
have missed your calling.  You should have been a lawyer!  On this very
subject you have now argued 3 different positions on this very same
subject.  (And you never confused yourself!  Many of my peers in the
legal profession should do so well!  It even made me think of the
perfect name for your next hosta 'Blinded By The Light'.

I hope you decide to come to Hosta In Focus so we can continue this and
other discussions.

To refresh your memory and others, as well as to provide newcomers with
the past information that has occurred on this subject, I reprint below
the text of an e-mail I sent to all the hosta related robins on or about
January 1, 1999.

This same message, slightly reworded was reprinted in the Spring issue
of the Hosta Journal

I received nearly 50 responses most from the e-mail robin.  I used these

At that time your suggestion was that by far the fairest method of
resolving the issue was to let the market resolve the issue and let
hybridizers pay for the pictures of their new introductions, thus if
they felt the plant was worthy they would, as another robin member put
it, "put their money where their mouth is".  You message, at that time
also suggested that, (although you did not call it such), a moratorium,
(I believe you used the phrase "let a period of time elapse") occur so
that we could have (as Ran has suggested numerous times and has again
suggested (as did Steve Chamberlain) the picture be of a mature clump
rather than a puny single division that may bear no resemblance to the
mature plant it will become.

I would like to add that I used this group, as well as the general
readership of the Hosta Journal, to help formulate the policy.  It was
then debated at length by the Board.  It has been well vetted, at all
levels.

You should also note that, although you have not seen it, the next issue
of the Journal will have 16 internal color pages, plus the 4 parts of
the cover, for a total of 20 color pages, the most ever in a Hosta
Journal.  This was due in large part to contributions by two parties for
two pages of new Herb Benedict introductions as well as sponsorship by
others of pages on specific topics.

What I believe and, in fact, you also argued back in January was that
this may serve to increase the number of color pages that could and
would be published within a given budget -- and guess what you were
right the first time!

Here was my earlier message,

"One of the difficult issues facing every editor of the Hosta Journal,
and more particularly the photo editor, is how much space to allocate to
color pictures, or color and black and white pictures of all the new
registrations.  No other discussion has taken more time between the
editor; photo editor, assistant editors and others involved in the
Journal production process than this one question.

"The recent poll suggested that many, if not all of the respondents
would like to see pictures of all new registrations.  There will be 99
new registrations in the Spring Issue.  Using a standard layout of 6
pictures per page, this would result in 15 and 1/2 color pages being
allocated to new registrations.  The budget allows for 12 color pages
for the Spring Issue, which includes the inside and outside Cover, and
back-cover.  Thus, we would have only new registration pictures using
the standard layout and then not all could be accommodated.

"Some have suggested that we do some in color and some in black and
white.  Others have suggested decrease the size of the photo and put 12
on a page.  Another suggestion that has recently been made is to have
the introducer pay for the ones they want in color and print the rest in
black and white. (It costs about $120 per 1/6th page size color photo)
Some have expressed the concern that why waste space on a black and
white picture of a solid color hosta, whether it is green, chartreuse,
gold or blue, it will simply look a particular shade of gray.  Others
have expressed a concern that "what can you learn from an immature
clump/single division picture of a new hosta."

"Yet others have complained that we should only show those pictures that
are of high quality in keeping with the photo quality of all other
Journal pictures.  Do we want out of focus, under, or over-exposed
pictures using up the color space?  Some have suggested, "well send the
picture back to have the introducer retake the photo."  That would be a
nice idea but some people photograph their new introductions in May and
don't submit the forms to the registrar until December.  The Journal
then receives the picture in January for publication in the spring.  If
we send it back for retake it either doesn't appear in the same issue as
the description, we hold both the description and the photo for a later
issue, or worse yet we hold up publication for 6 months.  You see none
of these alternatives are good ones.

"I would like to see the robin discuss this issue at greater length
because I have been chartered to develop a "written" policy in this area
to help guide future editors.  The robin provides a cross-section of
introducers, and non-introducer readers, which I believe will provide me
with good input into this process.  Thank you.

From: Kevin Walek <Giboshiman@AOL.COM>