FWD => 'Info on the NORWAY Seed Bank'

Forwarded as a courtesy by Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada
<<--- original Email below from Norway Seed Bank Gal (Iril Carita Kolle) --->>
>Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 22:18:03 +0200
>From: Iril Kolle <iril@iril.no>
>Hi everyone, I've had several mails from people wondering about the seed
>bank, so I'm sending this out to everyone as it answers your questions,
>and spares me writers cramps! Normally I would have answered you all, but
>I have a
>cold/virus infection so I'm in bed nowadays!
>                  This info is also available at the Seed bank page btw:
>http://www.iril.no/garden/garden/seed_bank.htm where you also will find the
>Hosta seeds available at this time.
>                  When it comes to amounts of seed, there's generally a
> seed-for-seed custom (that's my experience) - but I have the seeds in
> whatever quantities/amounts you want (within reason).
>                   In seed swaps I often get/send approx 50-100 seeds of
> usual varieties or of plants that has lots of seeds (like ordinary
> poppies), other rare varieties, or plants I have small amounts of seeds
> from, or have extremely high
>gemination rates, are listed on my swap list as "few" (this means 10-20
>seeds). (my swap page for perennials & other than Hostas are at:
>http://www.iril.no/garden/garden/plants_seeds1998.htm BTW)
>                  All my HOSTA seeds are now kept frozen or at +3-5
> degrees. (or Gramps would kill me for sure). Do not consider trading with
> seeds that has been kept at room temperature for a year or so, as they
> will have next to 0 germination.
>;-) Iril
>How to participate in the Hosta Seed Bank:
>             About the Bank: My aim is to spread seeds of all kinds and
> variations all over the world from a little outpost in Norway. This is
> mostly achieved with the help of terrific guys like "Grandpa Bill" alias
> Bill Nash, who's currently giving Norwegian customs gray hairs with his
> seed packs *grin*.
>             I have applied for import permits for large amounts of Hosta
> seeds, but I have not gotten it yet - but it looks good so far, as the
> Gov'ment have
>recommended I get it to the permit-people...Meanwhile, this is what goes:
>          Sending seeds: Hosta seeds should be sent (snugly packed) in an
> envelope that is marked with a green sticky customs/mail label stating
> "0" value,
>Marked as "gift"+ "flower seeds" and signed by sender.
>          Until the permit is at hand, do not send more than 6-8
> "portions" in one
>envelope, where one portion is no more than a small zipbag or paper/glassine
>envelope no larger than approx 6x8 cm.
>The seeds should be sent to: Iril Kolle, Bjorkvang, 2338 Espa, Norway.
>          If possible, please include whatever info you have on the seeds:
 > From what plant, which form/hybrid etc. We get lots of mails from people
> ho have an "unknown" Hosta in their backyard - so if you plan to join the
> "I have no
>idea-society" (grin) - please try to describe the plant as detailed as
>possible - is it variegated? Colours? Flower colours? Size? Lance shaped,
> [...]

===end of forwarded email ...remaining hosta'lly yours

email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/
TO JOIN hybridizer's list-server = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise
TO JOIN hosta-picture-group list-server =
TO JOIN AHS POLITICAL FORUM = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/ahspol
A Seed-bank/exchange in NORWAY =
TO JOIN British Hosta/Daylily Discussion group =