Fw: AHS Fall Board Meeting

Here is Jim Wilkins entire post from the AHS E-mail Robin.

Dan Nelson

Monday, October 11, 1999

Dear American Hosta Society Members:

     The Executive Board of The American Hosta Society met at my home
this
Friday evening through Sunday morning, October 8 - 10.  All members of
the
Executive Board  were in attendance.  I am writing to give you the
highlights of this lengthy and productive meeting.
     The new board format is working.  All of the Vice Presidents had
contacted their organization unit members and many interesting proposals
were presented and acted upon.  A detailed discussion of this meeting
will
be a part of my 'President's Message' in the next issue of The Hosta
Journal.  The minutes will be published in the upcoming issue of
Yearbook
addition of The Hosta Journal.

0   Because current registration policy is working to significantly
reduce
the number of unregistered hostas, the proposed AHS Preferred Growers
Policy is no longer necessary and is terminated.  A task force,
announced
at the 1999 AHS Convention, is charged with investigating hosta consumer
issues, including extending the IAC expiration date.

0   A system to review future research grants was proposed and will be
presented at the June board meeting for approval.

0   A supplement to the Silver Book will be published and will be sold
for
$10/copy.

0   A committee was formed to develop a hosta primer call "Let's Grow
Hostas."  It is intended to be no more than 36 pages, with some pages in
color.

0   A proposal to raise membership dues in 2001  to $25 for an
individual
membership was postponed definitely to the June Board meeting.  This
will
be considered in conjunction with a proposal to modify our publications
better inform our membership.

0   The Member Services Organizational Unit wishes to explore methods to
link the national society (AHS) with a region and its local
organizations.
One of the goals would be to develop a system by which regions would
elect
their own Regional Directors.  Regional Directors now serve on the Board
of
Directors and are appointed.

0   The board has accepted a proposal to develop a "Sharing Circle" to
be
the permanent repository of memorial funds and other directed donations
from individuals, clubs and commercial sources.  This fund would be used
provide seed money for AHS or local society's activities.  The revenues
when recouped would be returned to the fund completing the circle.

     I am using this mailing in an attempt to keep our membership
informed
of important policy issues and society direction.  I hope you will take
the
opportunity to be an informed member by reading the reports in The Hosta
Journal, and the minutes.  Your input is welcomed.  If you have special
interests or talents you would like to donate to our society, let me or
the
appropriate board member know.

Sincerely,

Jim Wilkins,