Animal Farm

Robins,

While the Board was deliberating this weekend, I was watching a movie on
TV...Animal Farm, made from George Orwell's book written about 50 years
ago. This is a political fantasy to depict the manner in which
totalitarian communist governments of Europe overtook control and
managed affairs of state. The parallel between Animal Farm and these
totalitarian governments was given to show how freedoms were taken away
from citizens...in an animal-like fashion.

The animals decided to rebel from the farm owner and seek their freedom,
run the farm, and improve their standard of living without having to put
up with control by others. So the pigs , who decided they were more
intelligent than others, took over...and decided how the Farm would be
run.There were the several slogans, politically inspired songs, and
other gimmicks,  used to establish control by the pigs...such as:

Organizing animals into specific groups...
Slogans such as "All animals are equal...but some are more equal than
others!"
"Long Live the Animal Farm!."
" The future belongs to US"
"Snowball will show us the way."
"Napolean ( the lead pig) is always right!"
"Make way for our leader...he will live in the Manor House (and sleep
between clean sheets)"
"No animal shall kill another animal ...........................without
cause"
"When the work horse is too old to work, he can retire...to the hospital
(actually it was the glue factory)"
"We have a new song to inspire us"..........(It's called .IAC) and
finally the summary...

"If we wait long enough and grow old as the Animal Farm deteriorates
through cruelty, greed and corruption, there will be some survivor
animals  and life for them will go on without the former leaders who
took control but are now just history."

Did you see the movie?  Did you notice  the subtle analogies betweeen
the  Animal Farm and our other Orwellian  institution that our AHS has
become? Shirley, you jest?

Jim Hawes