Re: White Hostas

At 08:15 PM 10/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
>The most notable of the "white" hostas, is one called "White Trouble",
>an undulata sport that folks find occasionally.  This like all white or
>near white Hostas, does not produce anouigh chlorphill to survive.  It
>there fore takes on a common aspect, one found in other hostas with a
>lot of light color.  It sends up new shoots in the mid summer,.  These
>will vary from light green to streaked or striped.

Interesting, but I guess intuitive. For these achlorophyllous plants to
survive, they must have a mechanism to produce buds for next year..My
'White Christmas,' which is the most fragile, melt-prone hosta I grow here
in TN, disappeared entirely in midsummer, but is now a clump of entirely
green leaves. Can't say this habit endears me to it, though!