Re: Who's votes for policies that negatively affect AHS finances?

In a message dated 10/15/1999 11:11:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< Open letter to the Executive Board of Directors and the membership of
 the AHS.

 Those that insist and those that decide that redundant and/or outdated
 and/or mostly useless information such as that contained in the Yearbook
 and Directory continue to be published annually, are today, and will be
 more so in the future, a financial challenge to the AHS. {The Yearbook is an
huge waste of money. I have heard that the Board is considering publishing
the Directory biannually.That is a must if the AHS wants to TRY to remain
afloat.}

 The proposed 32% increase in dues, from $19 to $25 annually, speaks for
 itself. We will lose some members over this proposed increase in cost.
 Has the board researched what the expected loss of membership will be?
 Would someone, preferably an AHS Board member, explain the dynamics
 behind this need for increased revenue? (In spite of the fact that the
 publishing cost of the AHS Journal has actually decreased). Does the
 Board of Directors believe an increase in dues will actually increase
 membership? Will the AHS reach more people with this change?{The AHS will
lose members. Certainly, many non-U.S. members will not rejoin.If members
want to remain such, I'd suggest that they ASAP send $76 to the Membership
Sec. to insure membership for the next four years, at the $19/year rate.}

 The newly created "Sharing Circle", where donated, directed funds can be
 spent anywhere the board decides, is a violation of the trust members
 have put in the AHS. Wonder if the lifetime membership fund will be a
 part of this "Sharing Circle"? Directed funds should stay directed. If
 funds are wanted for a "Sharing Circle" fund, than a "Sharing Circle"
 fund drive should be started and donations solicited. Borrowing money
 from other funds is a dangerous path.  We will lose track of which
 pocket our money is in and our money will most likely end up in a pocket
 with a hole.{This is the saddest of the proposals of the Board.It indicates
the desperate straits the AHS is in financally.}

 How much lost income will our Board of Directors allow the Convention
 Auction to suffer before admitting that the new restrictions placed on
 auction plants are in fact anti-hosta, anti-AHS, and anti-common sense?
 It is absurd for the AHS to turn down donated hostas that AHS members
 have traveled hundreds, even thousands of miles to donate and to
 purchase at the AHS Convention Auction.{All should boycott the auction.}

 Is the suggested raising of dues supposed to make up this lost income?

 Does the history of the AHS suggest we are in need of major changes in
 the way we do things?

 I don't think it does.{As conceived by Alex and others, the AHS was supposed
to be a club---not a business. It is now opeating in a corporate mode, or
trying to. The influence of Judith Burns, and the cowardice of many of the
Board members, are letting this once marvelous club go to ruin.}

 What then, is the driving force behind the major policies that have been
 adopted recently by the Board of the AHS?

 The AHS seems to be in an era of rules, rule making and control. Is the
 AHS a wild bull that needs taming? Are we a rowdy crew that needs
 lessons in how to get in line and straighten up our act?{Little people who
want big power for power's sake.}

 Are we in need of a strong arm to deliver us through the coming
 predicted hosta apocalypse? ( you know, the one these rules pre-empt)

 I have a dog that leaves his mark on a tire of every car that parks in
 our driveway.

 I've almost got him figured out.

 Next I will work on people.

 Clyde Crockett