seedling beds ..compression of images ..etc

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: seedling beds ..compression of images ..etc
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 13:16:26 -0400

***REGARDING "digital image compression test & sample"***
           At 11:53 PM 10/14/99 -0400, Mike Groothuis
<mike.groothuis@worldnet.att.net> wrote: "What was the compression ratio?
The file looked real good, but the compression started to effect the color.
Seed a little over-pixelated or "blocky." Perfect memory size."  <<--Mike
Groothuis/etc --<< ..programs I use, don't show "compression ratio"
..however ..(using mathematical deduction?) --->>  if and when (A): = a
41000 byte file-size (by disk storage) and dividing this into (B): = loaded
screen-size having 2,600,000 bytes of VIDEO RAM/memory being used (and this
is to be a percentage?) then: A = 1.6 percent of B, or in other words,
disk-storage-size is 1.6% of screen-loaded-size and/or a compression-factor
of 98.4 percent ..right :-(huh? <lol>
       ...*THE OBJECTIVE* of the above compression-test & sample given: was
to show that a very large video-memory-file (2.6 megabytes to be exact?),
can be compressed down to a very small disk-size (41,000 bytes in my
example?); which of course, provides for a quick transmission via
Internet.  ALSO ..anyone who is doing graphics for Web Site use, can save
themselves a tremendous amount of storage space therein, as well as faster
            Of course, the negative-factor-tradeoff with compression: the
higher compression goes ..the lower the quality of the image becomes.  Now?
..as for what the happy-medium might be ..I'd suggest this is under
50K'bytes by disk-storage-size i.e. for Internet use/intent and purposes.
~~~~~~~>>MIKE ALSO WROTE:  "On another note, great looking seed bed! More
than I would ever want to tackle.  Mike Groothuis"<<---Mikey?---<< Raised
seedling bed in question (one of many I'm working with?) ..was created to
maximize production success of direct outdoor sowings and/or maturing
juvenile cultivars/seedlings/cuttings and so on.  I try to create a very
specialized growing environment -- aiming for the perfect growing
conditions required by a given flower genus.  The hosta-seedlings, in that
bed for example, are from seed-collection done in Japan.  Many types are
not even seen yet outside of Japan, so the criteria related to creating
oneself a "perfect growing environment" is relatively important to me; and
more so, to the seedlings in the bed?
                 My personal gardening enjoyment (a hobby) comes from,
working trial-seedlings in a millions of seed-quantity category <<-->> not
landscaping perfection/ideals and/or hosta-collection for show-off purposes
of one's landscape.  Mind you? ..If we had a billion dollars to blow, it
would be fairly easy to show the world what 'A Garden of Eden' should look
like? ..all it takes is money! ..and with 6-billion human inhabitants on
planet earth, this is not relevant in the least!
            BTW ...I have started harvesting various flower seed genus
(some types not available anywhere else on this planet, being my originals
e.g. Hosta 'Let's Streak' (a Nash original seed-strain?) which is now into
F5 filial-generation (Line Breeding in play?) and provides for future
'Striated Breeders' for the grower of same.  Another hosta seed-strain, I'm
passing out freely, I call "Big Blue & White" since all offspring are
early-season, white flowering and having big blue leaves, standing 36
inches high at maturity; and this seed provides, germination in the 80%
category.  Accomplished via "Line-breeding" = purification of certain
characteristics/genes, by selfing in one generation and crossing best two
sisters progeny in the next generation; and repeating this, over and over
again, until the desired fairly pure seed-result factor is achieved?
            My seed, and seed from many other seedling-connoisseurs, will
be available from a very special 'Seed Bank' based in Norway, which freely
trades a variety of flower-genus-seed world-wide via Internet, on a seed
for seed trading basis, with no money changing hands.
            I have been sending "Iril Kolle" of Bjorkvang, 2338 Espa,
Norway <=mailing address?) some weekly seed-packages, simply testing
delivery in Norway.  Iril Kolle, now has an Import Permit for hosta-seed
arrivals coming from Canada, Great Britain, Japan & USA; and the objective
here is: to create a viable flower seed source for the world seedling
enthusiasts to draw from; and this is being done, simply for the FUN of it,
by Iril & her supporters i.e. no monetary profit motives in play.
      Anyone wishing, to check this out and/or participate in this
seed-trading; seedling growing fun, can contact:
"Iril Kolle, Bjorkvang, 2338 Espa, Norway" <iril@iril.no> <= <Iril's Email
Address> and please note: the part of her email address in quotation, is
Iril's actual mailing address -- and/or please go to her Web-site Address
in signature below?
       Anyone? ..who has never grown seeds, but wishes to learn how, can
learn this by contacting me/Iril?  Thank you for your time ...and remaining
hosta'lly yours ...yer gramps to all <lol>

email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/
TO JOIN hybridizer's list-server = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise
TO JOIN hosta-picture-group list-server =
TO JOIN AHS POLITICAL FORUM = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/ahspol
A Seed-bank/exchange in NORWAY =
TO JOIN British Hosta/Daylily Discussion group =