Re: hybrids and correction

Ben:

>By the way I made a mistake yesterday, I investigated the DNA of
>seedlings of Amber Tiara x Minuteman not ventricosa x Minuteman.

Unless Minuteman is a tetraploid I doubt that you can distinguish the
difference between the DNA content of Amber tiara and Minuteman using
a flow cytometer.  To say that the seedlings are NOT hybrids because
the seedling have the DNA content of the pod parent is absolute BAD
science at its worse.  There is so little difference in the DNA
content of different hosta species that I doubt that you can actually
measure the difference with the CRUDE method you are using.  A flow
cytometer is useful for seperating diploids, triploids and
tetrapoloids, but NOT for the purposes you are using it for.  Ben, you
have already amply demonstrated that you know nothing about botany;
why do you insist in continuing to demonstrating you don't know
anything about botany?

If you are going to make claims like this, then please give us the
actual figures for the DNA content of the parents and the seedlings
along with the standard deviation of the results.  Did you even
actually do the measurements?  Maybe that is why you won't give us any
figures!

Ben, you may fool some of the people on this robin, but there are some
of us on this robin who do actually know something about botany and
hostas and how to do GOOD science and you aren't going to fool us.
It's time for you, Ben, to put up or shut up!

Joe Halinar