Re: [nise] Norway Seed Bank Update

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: Re: [nise] Norway Seed Bank Update
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:36:01 -0400

At 01:35 PM 1999-10-21 -0500, Monty Carlson <natures@rea-alp.com> wrote:
>Bill,
>   Will any of these seeds produce streaked seedlings beside the Lets Streak
>F4 and F5??  How about the White Vision or Fragrant Bouquet or Summer
>Fragrance F1's??
 >>--------------->> The frags, generally put out solid colored offspring,
mostly green ...but a few yellow are possible?  White Vision likewise, but
has a stronger chance for yellow progeny ...since seed is from a selected
yellow-leaf F1 pod-parent.  The 'Let's Streak' seed-strain comes from my
personal selection of striated-leaf, striped-scaped; and also,
streaky-pod'ed POD-PARENTS ...so I would hope? ..offspring will not be
monochrome! <g>

>"Mildred Seaver (F2) striated large-leaf pod parent"   I would imagine this
>one would?
 >>--------->> This one is a question-mark, since I've noticed, this
particular pod-parent is reverting into the stable marginated form.  Last
chance to get streaks from it ..if any, since I expect it will be 100%
marginated next year, by bud-division isolation.  I've selected the F1
striated keeper-seedling, from H. Mildred Seaver (Steaked) i.e the one
which I liked, my F2 generation is already in the field; and that plant has
gone into eye-division, hence no seed is available from it.

>-"-tenryu species (F1)"   What can one expect from these seeds??  --------

The pod-parent is a rapid grower; leaf mound stands near 36 inches in
height and flower scapes are very'TALL.  Tenryu was a gift to myself; I've
not grown seed from it, so I don't know what it might provide.

>    What is tokudama tetra ??
F1-Seed came from a Peter Ruh purchase; in a previous year, labelled
"Tokudama Tetraploid" ..so you will have to ask Peter Ruh what this is,
because I haven't a clue what it is he was selling seed from? The seed I am
giving away free here, via our Norway Seed Bank is: the F2 generation of
that PR-seedling-result.

I would like to take this opportunity, to explain the connection between
the "nise@onelist.com-INTERNET GROUP" <-> myself <-> Iril Kolle of Norway
Seed Bank <-> and World Flower-seedling Growers in general:
       NISE stands for "New Internet Seedling-hybridizers Exchange" ; and
as an exchange, it is a place for those within -- to trade for whatever
they feel like trading for e.g. information/knowledge, plants/seeds and
whatever have you, and/or want?
       I wished to establish a 'Seed Exchange Base' for this group (and the
whole world?) so that they might feel free to participate in/with, so I
invited Iril Kolle of Norway (Whom was already trading all kinds of various
genus flower-seeds via Internet worldwide?) -->> to become co-moderator of
NISE with me?  She agreed! :)
       In our original statement of aims & objectives of NISE'group, we
stated that our primary objective, was dedicated to the expansion of the
genus hosta.  This is still true; however, with Iril Kolle being
co-moderator of this group (and there is a third list-owner whom wishes to
remain anonymous?) this means, we are concentrating on all ornamentals
having high demand & appeal -- not just hostas? ...It's a wide open ball
game!
      I personally, am putting some of my best seed into the Norway Seed
Bank; and this, after many years of seedlings trials & hobby
pleasures.  This seed is mostly hosta-orientated, but I am also collecting
and sending various types of Echinacea, Heuchera, Ligularia, Hemerocallis
and so on & so forth, in an effort to establish a viable Seed Exchange
Base, for everyone to draw from?  Of course, the catch is: nobody gets
nothing for nothing i.e. this is not a one way highway (one must put
something in seed in! ..to get something out?) ..but as I understand it:
--> everyone can take/reserve whatever they wish to have right now, as long
as they promise to put something back in later.  :(Fair enough?
      I personally, believe we have a very amicable Seed-Exchange
arrangement/setup in the works, for our nise-residents and the whole
Internet world to participate in same?
      BTW ...Others have indicated to me, that they will be putting hosta
seeds into the Norway Seed Bank, to help get this whole thing rolling & put
this show on the road; and without mentioning any names, I would like to
thank everyone supportive of what I believe to be a very worthwhile
Seedling-hybridizing effort/cause -- and keeping in mind, this
'seed-bank-building based in Norway' is being done "Strictly for the fun of
it?" ..nobody is making a dime in profits!  ..thanX-T'y'all ..for time
U'took t'read this ...and remaining HOSTA'lly yours:
the'SHADOW'gardener
email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/
TO JOIN hybridizer's list-server = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise
TO JOIN hosta-picture-group list-server =
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/hostapix
TO JOIN AHS POLITICAL FORUM = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/ahspol
A Seed-bank/exchange in NORWAY =
http://www.iril.no/garden/garden/plants_seeds1998.htm
TO JOIN British Hosta/Daylily Discussion group =
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/bhhspol