RE: Hosta Ramblings---and milking the AHS membership

Thanks for your response. Below I quote one statement you have made and I
will go on to explain my stand a little further.
"Maybe there are some folks, but I know I'm a lot more comfortable "buying
names" than I am buying "no-name" plants."

Andrew Lietzow
The Emerging Hostaholic

I think maybe I did not make myself clear with my statement "buying names".
I do not mean that I  have a preference for buying hostas with no names over
buying hostas with names. I do not buy hostas without names as a rule.

For instance someone that did not know better may think that they need all
of the named sports of 'Sum and Substance'that are similar to 'Lady Isobel
Barnett'. If you bought each these almost dozen similar looking sports you
would have increased the count of your hosta collection by 12 and you would
have supported many hosta introducers and hosta nurseries. What you would
have done little of is to increase the interest of your hosta collection. I
am not saying all of these sports are equal (I happen to have one that is
superior to all of them,$50ppd.), all I am saying is that they are very
similar in appearance and growth habit.

This is not an isolated example of how someone who collects "by name" gets a
little less than they bargained for. There are many, many look alike hostas
being sold under different names. It is a mistake to believe that adding a
new name to your hosta collection means you have added a distinct new hosta.

I am a firm believer in mass planting of hostas. When I see some of the
hosta gardens on tour at the AHS national conventions that have one each of
a thousand different named hostas I question what motivates the collector. I
believe it is a game of collecting and counting names. If the same money
were spent on multiples of outstanding hostas that have proven garden
performance there is no doubt in my mind that this "garden" would be much
better looking.

Hostas are at a point in their history where it is impossible for a
collector to keep up with all of the new introductions. This is just as well
because in time at least 75% of these new introductions will disappear from
the trade because they are not worth growing. Daylilies have been down this
path already and hostas are hot on their heels.

I have to admit to not being very interested in "supporting the channel of
distribution". A least 75% of my hosta money gets spent on proven cultivars
that are available from tissue culture labs such as Winterberry Farms, Miss
Vitro, Breeze Hill, Shady Oaks and Q and Z. These happen to be the same labs
that are producing the limited runs that so many are paying so much for.
I'll take a dozen t.c. liners of a proven beautiful hosta over a shot in the
dark so many people are taking when buying new hosta introductions by name
and price.

Patience will get you a lot more for your money.

Dan Nelson

PS. I notice your point of view is that of someone who wants to make money
selling hostas while mine is that of someone who wants to get the most
hostas for their money. I have little desire to support "price skimmers".