Re: Hosta Ramblings---and milking the AHS membership

In a message dated 09/06/2000 6:24:13 AM GMT Daylight Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

 I am a firm believer in mass planting of hostas. When I see some of the
 hosta gardens on tour at the AHS national conventions that have one each of
 a thousand different named hostas I question what motivates the collector. I
 believe it is a game of collecting and counting names. If the same money
 were spent on multiples of outstanding hostas that have proven garden
 performance there is no doubt in my mind that this "garden" would be much
 better looking.
Dan, I think every garden should be personal and fill the needs of the
gardener so if you like mass plantings then that is what you should have but
from a personal stand point I have to say that the only hosta plantings that
I don't enjoy are mass plantings.  I may use a few of same kind in a border
but even that is usually broken with other things.
I have pictures of mass plantings that are often used in talks when I say if
you don't want your garden to be boring then avoid this.  If the garden gives
pleasure to the owner then it is right for him or her.  Just a personal