Dan, Mary, Andrew

Dan, Mary, and Andrew all make useful and imaginative comments with regard to hosta plantings and the design of gardens in general. I printed out their posts because they give voice to topics which I think about often in the garden. Interestingly, each presents a challenge without denying the reality of the others' opinions. This tells us all alot about hostaphiles!

I have both specimen gardens and mass (but not massive) plantings. I think there is a way to integrate the two without, as Andrew notes, exhausting the eye. We've all walked past those gardens that give us pause:  what were the gardeners thinking of? The garden appears wrong for the buildings, disjointed, lopsided, or just plain too busy. Just looking at it makes the viewer tired. If you are like me, you file these away under Things I'll Never Do.

But how does this help us design a good working hosta garden that shows off both the species and our specimens? The answer to this question is highly individual, as Mary has pointed out.

Kris