Re: Hosta Ramblings---and milking the AHS membership

Andrew Lietzow wrote:
> While it is true that someday, today's $100 Hostas may become $5 Hostas,

Only if the plant is any good to start with, Andrew!  Being priced at
$100.00 has about a little to do with "quality" as anything I know of.

 we could
> all be buying $2.97 Hostas at the local discount center or grocery and be
> limited to 50 varieties.

I truly wonder if there are really even 50 "good" hostas.  I wish
somebody who keeps the big data bases would publish a list of 50, for
example, that are truly distinctive, and truly "good", both qualities
being measured against the standards we often read right on this very
robin, and the others as well.

and there
> wouldn't be a soul on the premises that could tell you if it was a Hosta,
> let alone what KIND of Hosta.

I'm not sure this is such a bad thing, Andrew.  This way, at least, the
plant would have to stand on it's own merits, and not on somebody's
opinion of what it could be, or what it ought to be based on it's
genetic background.

 The mass merchandiser is not in the business
> of enhancing the enjoyment of the gardening experience for the
> consumer--they are in the business to move product quickly, period.

Gee, Andrew, we couldn't imagine not being able to go to Lowe's, Home
Depot, or WalMart. We have actually bought many of what we thought were
good plants of various types, from trees on down, that a smaller
"knowledgeable" garden center would never have the resources to carry.
> The higher the price of the product, the better it is for everyone.

I just don't think this is a logical approach to any problem, Andrew!

> wants to pay $100 for an unnamed Hosta

Put another way, who in their right mind would pay $100.00 for any hosta?

 but I know I'm a lot more comfortable "buying
> names" than I am buying "no-name" plants.

I can give you a list of named, registered hostas that simply don't grow
well Andrew, even in this perfect environment in the mountains of
western North Carolina.  Some of these are listed right at this moment
for $250.00, and it takes quite a discerning eye to distinguish them
from some of the "old time" previously introduced plants. Don't worry,
though, I would never, under any circumstances, criticize any hosta just
because I can't grow it, but while we're on this particular subject
(giving opinions on plants) I simply can't resist commenting on
'Guacamole'. It is, by far, the most vigorous hosta we have, never seems
to revert or change to anything else, has wonderful masses of very
fragrant, truly beautiful flowers, and literally stops the tours of
little old ladies who come here dead in their tracks. Maybe it isn't
even 'Guacamole', but it looks like the pictures etc., and it always
comes true in TC.

For some reason, I'm enjoying this exchange of viewpoints.
John Lanier

> Andrew Lietzow
> The Emerging Hostaholic

MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier
Route 9  Box 908
Burnsville, NC  28714
(828) 682-4174